Holy Guacamole

Ever since I started making my own guacamole, I have a really difficult time eating anything from a store.  Many mexican restaurants get it right, but I'm still a bit partial to homemade.

1-2 ripe* avocados.  Peel and pit.  Cube (for easier mashing).
Sea salt** - I turn the salt grinder 3 times for 1 avocado and 5-6 for 2.
With a fork, I mash the avocado and sea salt together.  The salt helps create a smoother consistency.

Cilantro - chopped ** (or cilantro paste)
Lime juice (1/4 lime, squeezed)

Mix.

Roma tomatoes - diced**
Red onion - diced**
Jalapeno pepper - diced **

Stir gently until ingredients are mixed well. 

Serve.

If I prepare this in advance, I put it in a container and use shrink wrap and seal getting all of the air out.  Otherwise, the guacamole turns brown.


*Using a "ripe" avocado is key.  It is difficult to get a ripe avocado in Ohio.  Usually, I plan ahead, and buy the avocados a day or two in advance.  I squeeze the avocado gently.  It needs to be slightly soft, but not too soft.  Hard avocados don't peel well and are not very flavorful.

**Amounts of these ingredients varies on how you prefer your guacamole -- full of flavor, less cilantro, less "hot."  When making it for kids, I leave out the jalapeno.

0 comments: